Earth Notes: On Website Technicals (2020-12)Updated 2021-03-18 21:12 GMT.
By Damon Hart-Davis.
2020-12-31: 2020 Vision
Never again will 20/20 vision seem like such a good thing!
I'd be happy to go with the aphorism:
May next year not find us longing for this one.
2020-12-28: Time Travel
Google's Search Console grants the unexpected gift of time travel!
2020-12-25: Half Traffic
2020-12-23: Big Sur and FTDI
I backed up everything on my Mac, and upgraded to Big Sur (macOS 11.1). I was prepared to roll back if FTDI and other Arduino-related stuff failed.
But a quick run-through indicates that I am still able to program via a USBTinyISP, and can still talk serial through my usual FTDI cable.
It's an early Christmas miracle!
2020-12-22: GSC Rquests
The GSC request indexing tool came back today. I requested indexing for key pages that still have the http version marked canonical (currently 99 valid, 178 excluded as non-canon dupes from https sitemap.xml) until after ~10ish I got
Quota exceeded Sorry, we couldn't process this request because you've exceeded your daily quota. Please try submitting this again tomorrow.
A few items from the top of EOU's to-do list:
- STATSCAST? Generate per-hour (local time) 16WW electricity consumption (by month?) and compare with Elexon profile to see how much we have flattened 4-7 slot esp weekdays when Enphase is told we have a peak rate... Also look at (say) Agile pricing against that vs Ecotricity all-day rate. https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile-london/ Elexon Profile Class 1 – Domestic Unrestricted Customers https://www.elexon.co.uk/operations-settlement/profiling/
- Transcribe and caption EcoHome talk.
- Allow <SECTION> without date?
# TODO: allow a heading without a date (without ':') # with the visuals and possible layout optimisation # but without the "Comment" schema type?
- Get TikTok account for EOU!
- Split bat page (by month?, into a hierarchy?)
- WARNING: .bats-at-16WW.html: FIXME Check 20201007 19:16 and 19:22
- Generate WARNING for every img src and srcset item that is not globally readable.
- Automate Review + Product/Service/Event/Book insert, eg with embedded comments and partial metadata using separate external script to make conforming warning- and error- free HTML5+microdata.
- Add link through to Google Maps from coordinates and/or other address info.
- Add pics of new kettle for measuring-appliances page, maybe in the Gallery.
- Have licensing link for Gallery images link straight through to Gallery Ts&Cs page.
- FIX test cases.
- Create test case for home + other page for canonical/mobile/amphtml home/lite/amp links with correct prefixes, etc.
- Measure T3/HP645A8-8GB240GBW10P Refurbished HP Probook 645 AMD A8 8GB 240GB 14 Inch Windows 10 Professional Laptop
- Speed up page generation:
Rebuilding note-on-site-technicals-41.html INFO: TS: START: 1602959696 INFO: TS: THF: 1602959696 INFO: TS: HEROIMG: 1602959696 ***> INFO: SRCBYTES: IMG: 5395 INFO: TS: ADS: 1602959697 INFO: TS: START OUR CCS: 1602959697 ***> INFO: TS: END OUR CCS: 1602959705 INFO: TS: START TOC: 1602959705 INFO: TS: END TOC: 1602959705 INFO: TS: START PICKPAGE: 1602959705 INFO: TS: END PICKPAGE: 1602959705 INFO: TS: BEGIN BODY: 1602959705 INFO: SRCBYTES: IMG: 8514 INFO: SRCBYTES: IMG: 5840 INFO: TS: BEGIN FOOTER: 1602959707 INFO: TS: START MEDIA FOOTER: 1602959707 INFO: TS: IN MEDIA FOOTER IMG: 1602959707 INFO: TS: END MEDIA FOOTER: 1602959707 INFO: rank 32 note-on-site-technicals-41.html WARNING: missing pgintro for non- short/noindex page .note-on-site-technicals-41.html... INFO: .note-on-site-technicals-41.html share42 hash tags= #tech INFO: TS: END: 1602959707 INFO: note-on-site-technicals-41.html readability score 73; min 42. SEE .note-on-site-technicals-41.html.warn
- Ensure INTFR (plus INTIFA2 and INTELEC) being correctly extracted from Elexon feed.
- Add isPartOf / hasPart between main '/data/' set and elements of it.
- Add link back to basic house data (note-on-data) from saving-* pages.
- Apply X-Frame-Options: DENY only to html objects (currently www).
- Add some theming to podcast pages?
2020-12-12: Wide Screen Vignette Ads
For the last four weeks or so wide-screen vignette ads placed by Auto Ads have done remarkably well, earning a substantial chunk of what I have recently been receiving in a whole year.
Not riches, but individual clicks up in the 1£ region for example.
It all stopped while a major Google index update swept through for a few days at the start of the month. I'm hoping that things will settle again, but at a higher level than before.
In a fit of greed or enterprise (discuss) I have cranked "Ad Load" up a little beyond the mid-point in case lots of ad money is flowing before Christmas. Who knows.