Earth Notes: The Earth Notes Podcast @HomeUpdated 2020-11-26 15:30 GMT.
Episodes are typically:
- 'snackable' at just a few minutes long
- on a green, or energy efficiency, or energy data topic
- based at home
Some episodes are a little more tangental, such as listening to the temperature of your radiators for a whole year in one second.
Some episodes are longer. Watch out for video too!
There are also ambient episodes with little or no commentary.
- 2020-11-13 VIDEO Smart Radiator Valves - EcoHome Lab (2020-11-12) 17 min
- 2020-10-10 Statscast - Baselines and Bats (2020-09) 9 min
- 2020-09-26 Weymouth Ambient (2020-08) 22 min
- 2020-09-25 Diarycast - Summer Catch-up (2020-09-25) 5 min
- 2020-09-21 Soundwalk - an hour on the Cambridge Road Estate (2020-09-12) 61 min
- 2020-09-18 Bats Around our Home aka 16WW 38 min
- 2020-07-26 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping - Travel (2020-07-26) 9 min
- 2020-07-12 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping (2020-07-12) 7 min
- 2020-07-05 Statscast - Normal-ish June, Heating Re-viewed (2020-06) 9 min
- 2020-06-10 Statscast - Lockdown Changes and Web Log Noises (2020-05) 11 min
- 2020-05-23 Diarycast - Urban Dawn Chorus (2020-05-23) 24 min
- 2020-05-13 Diarycast - Ambient Sound of a Graveyard (2020-05-13) 11 min
- 2020-05-10 Diarycast - Lockdown Patently Workable (2020-05-10) 4 min
- 2020-05-03 Statscast - PV Up, Travel Down, Weakly Weeklies (2020-04) 11 min
- 2020-04-22 Diarycast - Blue Skies PV High (2020-04-22) 3 min
- 2020-04-19 Metacast 2: Podcast Specs and Workflow 5 min
- 2020-04-13 Diarycast - Lockdown Lawnmowing Sadly Allowed (2020-04-13) 3 min
- 2020-04-10 Metacast 1: Blue Yeti, Shy Eurasian Footwear 4 min
- 2020-03-21 A Short Coronacast for March 2020 2 min
- 2019-12-30 Sign-off for 2019, Hello 2020! 7 min
- 2019-11-09 VIDEO OpenTRV Movie Mashup 1: Video Out-takes and The Rest! 2 min
- 2019-10-29 Water Music: How Does Tap-water Temperature Sound in Time-lapse? 5 min
- 2019-10-28 The Green Existence of Adam Hart-Davis 6 min
- 2019-10-19 PV Sounds: How Does PV Grid-tie Generation Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-13 Battery Sounds: How Does a Battery Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-12 Rad Sounds II: Attempting a Higher-fi Home-heating Time-lapse 3 min
- 2019-09-22 Greener travel: Why We Should Cut Car-bon Miles 4 min
- 2019-09-15 Rad Sounds: How Cool is your Home Heating in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-08-28 Aircon On, Windows Open! 3 min
- 2019-06-21 About Our Greenish Home aka 16WW, with Bonus Bats and Sparrows 4 min
- 2019-06-15 Solar Panels in My Garden 2 min
Other Ways to Listen
AMP and 'lite' pages play smaller, mono versions of the audio files where available. Smaller files help save your mobile data allowance and a tiny carbon toeprint. The smaller version may also be served automatically if you have data saving mode (
Save-Data: on) enabled in your browser.
Please do the like/rate and subscribe thing to help other people find this podcast!
An RSS feed is available.
Here are some vague plans for future episodes. Don't hold your breath!
- Build a beat from eg 4 daily cycles with overlay on first beat, or interleaved beats from another source, and slower arc eg from annual cycle. BPM 120 (2Hz), 135-145?
- Diary of EOU HQ and notable events/stats...
- 2020-11-26: Accepted an award for Vestemi/Radbot at a virtual ceremony!
- 2020-11-11: Global road usage - down 65% in April, now down merely 25%...but also not going up any more either.
- 2020-11-05: something to try when the heating goes on: enable in small bursts (otherwise off during 4pm--7pm peak electricity grid demand window) to maximise comfort improvements for electrical input.
- 2020-11-05: listening to Betatalk on heatpumps from the point of view of potential installers and users.
- 2020-11-05: my response to government consulation on Improving the energy performance of privately rented homes.
- 2020-11-05: lockdown 2 starts, but found a ripe blackberry on my walk today, and passed several people also out, with babies and dog...
- 2020-10-04: Providing decent living with minimum energy: A global scenario suggests
final energy for decent living (DLE) ... 15.3 GJ/cap/yrin 2050 (~4MWh/cap/y)
... highly-efficient facilities for cooking, storing food and washing clothes; low-energy lighting throughout; 50l of clean water supplied per day per person, with 15l heated to a comfortable bathing temperature; they maintain an air temperature of around 20°C throughout the year, irrespective of geography; have a computer with access to global ICT networks; are linked to extensive transport networks providing ~5000–15,000km of mobility per person each year via various modes ... universal healthcare ... education for everyone between 5 and 19 years old ...
- 2020-10-03: trip to and from Tottenham to see friends; passenger density low on train, slightly higher on Tube. Maybe 20% or more of passengers not wearing masks at all, or not wearing properly, eg on chin or not covering nose. Mostly by not exclusively single males under about 40.
- 2020-09-28: upstairs MHRV fan on and windows closed to retain heat overnight; careful use of the MHRV should keep us going until heating on in November.
- 2020-09: shoulder months would make good use of an additional 1kWh/270W of Enphase ACB - should measure simulated change in self-consumption or "energy independence" (Enphase: 1 - (imported / consumed)) in Mar + Sep, then over full year vs extra overheads...
- Brief video open house tour of green features (and link clips to existing articles).
- Interviews with FnF, about how lockdown has effected their 'greenness'.
- Fairphone 3 review, possibly as a video episode, and possibly including audio/video recorded by the FP3 itself.
- Sonify mains voltage fluctuations as seen by the Enphase.
- Sonify change in GB electricity generation before and after lockdown.
- Sonify change in GB transport use (eg TfL journeys) before and after lockdown.
- Do 'virtual' very low carbon non-holiday (video?) sadcastvisit to Midi w/ receipts and photos and clips from last time!
- Capture weekly cycles, though that means running faster than 1 year to 1 second (day = 365Hz, week = 52Hz) to make week audible.
- Discuss eg reduction in peak-time weekday imports with Enphase ToU, and sonify, and discuss other Enphase featues and foibles.
- Turn snippets of sonified data into sampled notes and form tune / percussion. Maybe have note frequency be the mean for the data set.
- Mains water temp to midi note; poss play all years in parallel.
- Audify the fridge/freezer (W -> midi note) and other appliance.
- A take on the daily treadmill getting Radbot to market, eg including fundraising (maybe with some video clips spliced in).
- Interview (audio only, or video) over Skype or SquadCast or Zencastr or similar.
You may be interested in nitty-gritty tech updates and daily learnings while keeping the Earth Notes site up and running.
Some documentation of my set-up and workflow is in episode "Metacast 2".
See also Podcast Industry Statistics, updated daily.