Earth Notes: The Earth Notes Podcast @HomeAuto-updated 2022-05-20.
By Damon Hart-Davis.
Episodes are typically:
- 'snackable' at just a few minutes long
- on a green, or energy efficiency, or energy data topic
- based at home
Some episodes are a little more tangental, such as listening to the temperature of your radiators for a whole year in one second.
Some episodes are longer. Watch out for video too!
There are also ambient episodes with little or no commentary.
47 episodes, newest first:
- 2022-05-08 Hanwell Hootie Ambient (2022-05) 11 min
- 2021-12-29 Diarycast - End of Year Roundup (2021-12-28) 3 min
- 2021-11-14 Diarycast - June to November Roundup (2021-11-14) 6 min
- 2021-09-08 English River August Ambient (2021-08) 11 min
- 2021-09-05 Microbrewery Ambient (2021-09) 11 min
- 2021-08-28 Direycast - I'm All Right Jack (2021-08-28) 4 min
- 2021-08-22 On Being a Hardware Developer (2021-07-30) 12 min
- 2021-08-01 Herne Bay Ambient (2021-07) 24 min
- 2021-06-27 Wren Loud and Bold Ambient (2021-06) 2 min
- 2021-06-14 Diarycast - March Warm, April Snow, June Xmas (2021-06-14) 3 min
- 2021-03-21 Diarycast - Smoke and Snow to Census Jab (2021-03-21) 4 min
- 2021-02-07 Soundscape - Going Postal in Audio 21 min
- 2021-01-14 Diarycast - Interview Snippets (2021-01-14) 4 min
- 2020-12-31 Statscast - Load Profile (2020-12) 4 min
- 2020-12-22 Soundscape - Solstice Exercise Mile Walk 20 min
- 2020-12-21 Diarycast - Solstice Lockdown Edition (2020-12-21) 8 min
- 2020-11-13 VIDEO Smart Radiator Valves - EcoHome Lab (2020-11-12) 17 min
- 2020-10-10 Statscast - Baselines and Bats (2020-09) 9 min
- 2020-09-26 Weymouth Ambient (2020-08) 22 min
- 2020-09-25 Diarycast - Summer Catch-up (2020-09-25) 5 min
- 2020-09-21 Soundwalk - an hour on the Cambridge Road Estate (2020-09-12) 61 min
- 2020-09-18 Bats Around our Home aka 16WW 38 min
- 2020-07-26 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping - Travel (2020-07-26) 9 min
- 2020-07-12 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping (2020-07-12) 7 min
- 2020-07-05 Statscast - Normal-ish June, Heating Re-viewed (2020-06) 9 min
- 2020-06-10 Statscast - Lockdown Changes, Log Noises (2020-05) 11 min
- 2020-05-23 Diarycast - Urban Dawn Chorus (2020-05-23) 24 min
- 2020-05-13 Diarycast - Ambient Sound of a Graveyard (2020-05-13) 11 min
- 2020-05-10 Diarycast - Lockdown Patently Workable (2020-05-10) 4 min
- 2020-05-03 Statscast - PV Up, Travel Down, Weakly Weeklies (2020-04) 11 min
- 2020-04-22 Diarycast - Blue Skies PV High (2020-04-22) 3 min
- 2020-04-19 Metacast 2: Podcast Specs and Workflow (2020-04) 5 min
- 2020-04-13 Diarycast - Lockdown Lawnmowing Sadly Allowed (2020-04-13) 3 min
- 2020-04-10 Metacast 1: Blue Yeti, Shy Eurasian Footwear (2020-04) 4 min
- 2020-03-21 A Short Coronacast for March 2020 2 min
- 2019-12-30 Sign-off for 2019, Hello 2020! 7 min
- 2019-11-09 VIDEO OpenTRV Movie Mashup 1: Video Out-takes and The Rest! 2 min
- 2019-10-29 Water Music: How Does Tap-water Temperature Sound in Time-lapse? 5 min
- 2019-10-28 The Green Existence of Adam Hart-Davis 6 min
- 2019-10-19 PV Sounds: How Does PV Grid-tie Generation Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-13 Battery Sounds: How Does a Battery Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-12 Rad Sounds II: Attempting a Higher-fi Home-heating Time-lapse 3 min
- 2019-09-22 Greener Travel: Why We Should Cut Car-bon Miles 4 min
- 2019-09-15 Rad Sounds: How Cool is your Home Heating in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-08-28 Aircon On, Windows Open! 3 min
- 2019-06-21 About Our Greenish Home aka 16WW, with Bonus Bats and Sparrows 4 min
- 2019-06-15 Solar Panels in My Garden 2 min
Other Ways to Listen
'Lite' pages play smaller, mono versions of the audio files where available. Smaller files help save your mobile data allowance and a tiny carbon toeprint. The smaller version may also be served automatically if you have data saving mode (
Save-Data: on) enabled in your browser.
Please do the like/rate and subscribe thing to help other people find this podcast!
An RSS feed is available.
Here are some vague plans for future episodes. Don't hold your breath!
- Diary of EOU HQ and notable events/stats...
- 2022-05-07: visited the Hanwell Hootie!
- 2022-05-06: the heat battery reduced our gas demand in April to well under 0.5kWh/d; we then seem to have snuck through a few dull days at the start of May without much higher gas use.
- 2022-04-20: Sitting in the kitchen having lunch, listening to my @myenergiuk eddi clicking off (stopping diverting) when grid frequency drops < 49.9Hz! Hurrah!
- 2022-03-28: my cemetery walk was sweet-smelling with white candelabra racemes of laurel!
- 2022-03-26: it's been a sunny week, with the Thermino almost eliminating gas use. Today two showers and a bath were supplied and the Thermino nearly full up again by about 4pm having absorbed over 9kWh.
- 2022-02-26: a pleasant sunny day, the off-grid battery hit FULL and the Enphase grid-coupled battery hit 100% too, and ~4kWh has been exported most of which in future would be in the heat battery possibly destined for my bath.
- 2022-02-22: preparing for Thermino install, we are getting rid of the grill (George Foreman Dual Knockout No 10387) that I think was the first purchase through our new virtual credit-card system at Ixaris for ~£100 at Amazon! We haven't used it for years, one half no longer works, but we'll see if anyone wants it on Freegle/Freecycle...
- 2022-02-20: a walk round the cemetery in the afternoon (with a rather milder Met Office yellow warning of wind) revealed quite a lot of tree (and fencing) damage: a large Cypress smashed into pieces for example.
- 2022-02-18: today's predicted terrifying storm Eunice as of just before 8am and on the live forecast in the next hour nominal 62mph winds, is barely windy. A couple of hours later into the 'red warning' phase and for some hours, became more gusty, but still not damaging, at EOU HQ.
- 2022-02-13: because the central heating radiator circuit pressure keeps dropping to 0 (and rising sharply, so I fear a problem with expansion vessel and/or overpressure relief valve) and the boiler is making unhappy noises at low pressure, I have turned the flow tmperature down to minimum (~30°C) to see if that stresses the system less.
- 2022-02-12: the house basically imported nothing from the grid today and exported ~1kW; the Enphase started the day nearly 50% full and will end nearly 90% full with 6.7kWh generated.
- 2022-02-01: the sparrows are keeping up their racket outside my study window in the Pyrocanthus!
- 2022-01-31: it's noon and I'm at least briefly running my MBA off-grid, and the off-grid system is dumping too, so taking ~30W load away leaving ~200W to spill to grid from ~1200W generation. The Enphase AC Batteries claim to be charging ~900W, maybe below the nominal maximum because it's chilly (~7°C).
- 2022-01-30: off-grid battery hit FULL today for the first time since 2021-10-31, ie in about 3 months!
- 2022-01-30: set up basic heat-battery top-up control script and logging.
- 2022-01-29: Myenergi Eddi+Hub arrived today, ahead of schedule; very preliminary check-over, and set-up of hub.
- 2022-01-28: Fame! To quote @EarthOrgUK just now, who concisely summarized our paper: "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (especially if one eye is closed and one ear covered)." We opened both eyes and found clear evidence for the obvious answer: nuclear power DOES reduce CO2 emissions.
- 2022-01-28: Myenergi eddi and hub now on their way for heat battery setup; I'm hoping to have programmed everything fairly thoroughly long before the sparks gets involved!
- 2022-01-22: in a thread on Twitter I mused FWIW I don't put any of my qualifications (or even "Mr"!) on my business cards etc. And even if I finally go for a PhD and achieve it, I won't be using "Dr" much. Objective qualifications are important but not the whole story: mediocre people collect and hide behind them...
- 2022-01-17: Energy Digitalisation Taskforce publishes recommendations for a digitalised Net Zero energy system: I contributed to the open data element of this in the Before Times.
- 2022-01-16: my MacBook Air is offering me an upgrade to Monterey even though I think it's too old (MacBookAir6,2 ~2013?) ... and when I click on the offer and get to Software Update I am told that I'm up to date at 11.6.2.
- 2022-01-11: installed the
atcommand so that I could
at noonsomething I want to run when the sun has been out for a bit tomorrow. I used to use
atall the time, eg at uni, but probably haven't for a decade or two since it wasn't installed by default. But it only took a
apt-get install atand abut 30 seconds to bring it all back!
- 2022-01-08: into part 2 of Daniel Dennett's "From Bacteria to Bach and Back" 2017...
- 2022-01-05: first decent few hours of sunshine in nearly a month, with horribly low off-grid battery managing to soak up over 360Wh cf ~50Wh on previous days.
- 2022-01-01: warm and sunny enough (>14°C) for us to have washing drying on the line in the garden, while I pored over end-of-month and end-of-year data capture and processing!
You may be interested in nitty-gritty tech updates and daily learnings while keeping the Earth Notes site up and running.
Some documentation of my set-up and workflow is in episode "Metacast 2".
See also Podcast Industry Statistics, updated daily.