Earth Notes: On Website Technicals
These notes will be updated intermittently, usually when I should be doing something else!
These notes are all about the interesting (and mundane) behind-the-scenes tech bits and bobs to grow and optimise this site, including purely technical measures such as speed, but also user experience beyond just adding new articles and updating existing ones.
Please try the useful tools, reasonably recently used and re-used by me, and encountered while writing these entries, listed under Sources and Links.
The Sources and Links section of each of the site notes pages lists interesting and/or useful resources encountered, even if not directly used for the site.
Also please take a look at the simple automatically-updated site stats below.
I welcome feedback on any of the issues that I have discussed. I share this stuff because it's interesting and because writing it here may save someone else some unnecessary head-scratching! No longer do we need to really know anything technical, nor own a shelf full of reference books (so '90s!), we just need to be able to compose queries for our favourite search engines!
The newest pages are at the top of this list, and the newest items are at the top of each linked page. Enjoy!
Notes On Site Technicals: Index
- #8: 2018/01:
- PSNR lo-fi PNG autogeneration, page media, secondary image, client hints.
- #7: 2017/12:
- too little markup, bad traffic, big hero, base download ms, service worker no rel, jump-to.
- #6: 2017/11:
- Googlebot warp space, image re-optimisation, even liter, defer, inlining, video.
- #5: 2017/10:
- rounded corners, mobile usability, HTTP/2 vs mobile, bad bot, UnCSS tweaks, latency, unit tests, visuals, Save-Data header, lite vs mobile.
- #4: 2017/09:
- ImageMagick 20 years and Brew, autogen banners, old eyes, optimised ads, mobile traffic, brotli, doctype, JPEG fun, purifycss, UnCSS, OnDemand.
- #3: 2017/08:
- Atom sitemaps (un)pending, Googlebot bandwidth, HTML improvements, big beast hunting with regex, heroes, Cache-Control, restart drill, minifying.
- #2: 2017/07:
- ad injection, meta, static precompression, zopfli, HTTP/head response overhead reduction, Bing Webmaster Tools, FeedValidator, Share42, utf-8.
- #1: 2017/06:
- CDN revoked, structured data, 10 years old, XML sitemap at long last and lastmod, HTML5 conformance, PageSpeed.
Stats updated: 2018-01-22T07:02Z
|Fraction bot hits||0.575|
|Fraction GET 200s||0.867|
|Fraction GET 206s||0.000|
|Fraction GET 301s||0.040|
|Fraction GET 304s||0.027|
|Fraction GET 403s||0.015|
|Fraction GET 404s||0.033|
|Fraction GET 416s||0.000|
|Fraction human main-page GET 200s||0.072|
|Fraction human m/(m+www) main-page GET 200s||0.074|
|Fraction m/(m+www) site hits||0.134|
|Mean human m main-page transfer bytes||11623|
|Mean human www main-page transfer bytes||14091|
|Mean m transfer bytes||8635|
|Mean www transfer bytes||16590|
|Unique human IPs/day equivalent||154|