Earth Notes: The Earth Notes Podcast @HomeAuto-updated 2021-04-12 16:47 GMT.
By Damon Hart-Davis.
Episodes are typically:
- 'snackable' at just a few minutes long
- on a green, or energy efficiency, or energy data topic
- based at home
Some episodes are a little more tangental, such as listening to the temperature of your radiators for a whole year in one second.
Some episodes are longer. Watch out for video too!
There are also ambient episodes with little or no commentary.
- 2021-03-21 Diarycast - Smoke and Snow to Census Jab (2021-03-21) 4 min
- 2021-02-07 Soundscape - Going Postal in Audio 21 min
- 2021-01-14 Diarycast - Interview Snippets (2021-01-14) 4 min
- 2020-12-31 Statscast - Load Profile (2020-12) 4 min
- 2020-12-22 Soundscape - Solstice Exercise Mile Walk 20 min
- 2020-12-21 Diarycast - Solstice Lockdown Edition (2020-12-21) 8 min
- 2020-11-13 VIDEO Smart Radiator Valves - EcoHome Lab (2020-11-12) 17 min
- 2020-10-10 Statscast - Baselines and Bats (2020-09) 9 min
- 2020-09-26 Weymouth Ambient (2020-08) 22 min
- 2020-09-25 Diarycast - Summer Catch-up (2020-09-25) 5 min
- 2020-09-21 Soundwalk - an hour on the Cambridge Road Estate (2020-09-12) 61 min
- 2020-09-18 Bats Around our Home aka 16WW 38 min
- 2020-07-26 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping - Travel (2020-07-26) 9 min
- 2020-07-12 Diarycast - Conscious Uncouping (2020-07-12) 7 min
- 2020-07-05 Statscast - Normal-ish June, Heating Re-viewed (2020-06) 9 min
- 2020-06-10 Statscast - Lockdown Changes, Log Noises (2020-05) 11 min
- 2020-05-23 Diarycast - Urban Dawn Chorus (2020-05-23) 24 min
- 2020-05-13 Diarycast - Ambient Sound of a Graveyard (2020-05-13) 11 min
- 2020-05-10 Diarycast - Lockdown Patently Workable (2020-05-10) 4 min
- 2020-05-03 Statscast - PV Up, Travel Down, Weakly Weeklies (2020-04) 11 min
- 2020-04-22 Diarycast - Blue Skies PV High (2020-04-22) 3 min
- 2020-04-19 Metacast 2: Podcast Specs and Workflow 5 min
- 2020-04-13 Diarycast - Lockdown Lawnmowing Sadly Allowed (2020-04-13) 3 min
- 2020-04-10 Metacast 1: Blue Yeti, Shy Eurasian Footwear 4 min
- 2020-03-21 A Short Coronacast for March 2020 2 min
- 2019-12-30 Sign-off for 2019, Hello 2020! 7 min
- 2019-11-09 VIDEO OpenTRV Movie Mashup 1: Video Out-takes and The Rest! 2 min
- 2019-10-29 Water Music: How Does Tap-water Temperature Sound in Time-lapse? 5 min
- 2019-10-28 The Green Existence of Adam Hart-Davis 6 min
- 2019-10-19 PV Sounds: How Does PV Grid-tie Generation Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-13 Battery Sounds: How Does a Battery Sound in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-10-12 Rad Sounds II: Attempting a Higher-fi Home-heating Time-lapse 3 min
- 2019-09-22 Greener travel: Why We Should Cut Car-bon Miles 4 min
- 2019-09-15 Rad Sounds: How Cool is your Home Heating in Time-lapse? 3 min
- 2019-08-28 Aircon On, Windows Open! 3 min
- 2019-06-21 About Our Greenish Home aka 16WW, with Bonus Bats and Sparrows 4 min
- 2019-06-15 Solar Panels in My Garden 2 min
Other Ways to Listen
AMP and 'lite' pages play smaller, mono versions of the audio files where available. Smaller files help save your mobile data allowance and a tiny carbon toeprint. The smaller version may also be served automatically if you have data saving mode (
Save-Data: on) enabled in your browser.
Please do the like/rate and subscribe thing to help other people find this podcast!
An RSS feed is available.
Here are some vague plans for future episodes. Don't hold your breath!
- Diary of EOU HQ and notable events/stats...
- 2021-04-12: some pleasant sunshine yesterday, then in the afternoon just after I came in a brief intense flurry of snow. This morning, on the day that the pubs can re-open outside, more snow at 8am!
2021-04-07: Britain's electricity system 'greenest ever' over Easter:
Great Britain's electricity system was the greenest it had ever been at lunchtime on Easter Bank Holiday Monday, its operator has said. Sunny and windy weather, coupled with low demand for power, led to a surge in renewable sources of energy, National Grid Electricity System Operator said. It meant zero-carbon power sources made up almost 80% of Britain's power.
- 2021-04-06: around freezing or below this morning and likely the same tonight, but MHRV and solar gain may help as not need the central heating back on (it's sunny right now at 8am BST).
- 2021-03-30: Enphase and off-grid storage managed to continue through midnight into this morning. However, my son left the microwave oven switched on when he'd finished making popcorn yesterday evening, and the clock will have wasted more enrgy than was saved off-grid...
- 2021-03-29: provisionally turned heating off entirely at noon UTC!
- 2021-03-29: Enphase energy lasted through midnight to this morning again, aided by getting my off-grid 'dump' to the router (~12W) working again.
- 2021-03-23: some Enphase AC Battery energy carried over midnight for the first time this year.
- Build a beat from eg 4 daily cycles with overlay on first beat, or interleaved beats from another source, and slower arc eg from annual cycle. BPM 120 (2Hz), 135-145?
- Brief video open house tour of green features (and link clips to existing articles).
- Interviews with FnF, about how lockdown has effected their 'greenness'.
- Fairphone 3 review, possibly as a video episode, and possibly including audio/video recorded by the FP3 itself.
- Sonify mains voltage fluctuations as seen by the Enphase.
- Sonify change in GB electricity generation before and after lockdown.
- Sonify change in GB transport use (eg TfL journeys) before and after lockdown.
- Do 'virtual' very low carbon non-holiday (video?) sadcastvisit to Midi w/ receipts and photos and clips from last time!
- Capture weekly cycles, though that means running faster than 1 year to 1 second (day = 365Hz, week = 52Hz) to make week audible.
- Discuss eg reduction in peak-time weekday imports with Enphase ToU, and sonify, and discuss other Enphase featues and foibles.
- Turn snippets of sonified data into sampled notes and form tune / percussion. Maybe have note frequency be the mean for the data set.
- Mains water temp to midi note; poss play all years in parallel.
- Audify the fridge/freezer (W -> midi note) and other appliance.
- A take on the daily treadmill getting Radbot to market, eg including fundraising (maybe with some video clips spliced in).
- Interview (audio only, or video) over Skype or SquadCast or Zencastr or similar.
You may be interested in nitty-gritty tech updates and daily learnings while keeping the Earth Notes site up and running.
Some documentation of my set-up and workflow is in episode "Metacast 2".
See also Podcast Industry Statistics, updated daily.